Friday, June 6, 2008

All about the pics













"Today I finally overcame trying to fit the world inside a picture frame. Baby, I will tell you all about it when I'm in the mood to lose my way, but let me say you should have seen that sunrise with your own eyes. It brought me back to life. You'll be with me next time I go outside, no more 3 by 5's. Just no more 3 by 5's."

Anybody know who's lyrics these are??? I'm crazy for photographs. What can I say? I love to take pictures. I love to look at pictures, and not just mine, anyone's.......if they're good. Marshall & I went into Borders on Third Street in Santa Monica and sat and looked at books for hours. I looked at one book of photographs after another. SOOOO therapeutic! My favorite one was by Anne Levowitz. There were pictures in there that should not have been, so let me give that qualifying comment first. BUT, I loved what she did. She made a book of her families' ordinary happenings. One of my favorite pictures was a black & white of her mother after she'd just woken up, sitting on the edge of her bed with her husband (Anne's father) laying in bed next to her with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth. Neither of them were smiling. The looked grouchy. I loved it. It was just real life as it was happening.

The reason that I like the song that I quoted up above is because I have this curse of seeing the world through a camera lens. I'm CONSTANTLY wishing that I had my camera! When someone makes a face that I'd like to capture and keep forever, or when there's a beautiful flower, or leaf, or car, or building, or a special needs child that's so precious I just want to take his picture. There was one in a wheelchair in Target the other day, he smiled at me & my boys and in his strained voice said "Hi". I wanted to squeeze him, and love on him, and then I wanted to take his picture.

A picture really is worth a 1000 words. So forgive my steady steam of photographs. I can't seem to post without pictures being involved. I was the kid that would rather look at the pictures than read the words. Now I'm the adult that would rather look at the pictures than read the words.

The family pictures Jen Tilley took. Thank you, Jen! The ones that I'm not in, I took.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Rachel, I love pictures, too. I have been saving up to buy a great camera. I am tired of missing life. The pictures you have taken for us are some of our most prize possessions. Thanks for sharing your gift!

Sara said...

These are beautiful! I love them all- and your hair looks great too! Isn't that spot in front of the lake just magical?

Yvonne said...

Oh...I can't wait to see you! Let's make a date. You are all beautiful!